S+T+ARTS AI and Music Festival 2021
Deadline to apply: June 11th 2021
The S+T+ARTS AI and Music Festival 2021 launches an international call for projects dedicated to AI and Music led by Sónar and UPC (Universitat Politècnica de Catalunya).
Aimed at musicians, researchers and AI specialists, the festival is searching for performances, tools and software, and research and co-creation projects that explore the intersections between music of all genres and Artificial Intelligence.
The selected projects will be showcased at the S+T+ARTS AI & Music Festival which will take place in Barcelona 27 & 28 October 2021.
Taking on a number of different formats, both digital and in person, in order to represent a broad range of approaches towards the connections between AI and Music the festival will feature live streamed panels and keynotes, pre-recorded shows and online workshops. Sónar and UPC are looking for projects currently in development that can be adapted to any of the above formats, and that have a clear link between music of any genre and AI or Machine learning.
Selected proposals will form part of the festival program and will receive economic compensation for their participation accordingly.
Projects that meet the criteria below can be submitted in English, Spanish or Catalan, from anywhere in the world, and the submission period will run until Fri 11th June 2021.
Read through the FAQ’s below for more info, and head to the relevant form to submit your application. Good luck!
Please read BEFORE applying
- Proposals that are not related to the topic of AI and Music will not be considered.
- Projects should be in advanced development at the time of applying. Only production costs related to the staging of the performance at the festival will be covered. There is no dedicated production budget.
- We will only consider performances ready to be presented on a stage, or as a 20’ video capsule as part of the festival’s musical program. Proposals for installations and other experiences that cannot be adapted to these formats will not be considered.
- We welcome proposals in English, Spanish and Catalan from all around the world.
- After submitting the form, you cannot edit your application.
WHAT kind of projects are we looking for?
We’re looking for projects that fit into one of the following categories and formats:
- Live performancesinvolving AI and music; AI as applied to voice, instruments, dance and movement. The format should be a concert or a show of between 15-30 mins, able to be performed on stage, or as a video capsule for the festival’s virtual program.
- Research projectsthat can be presented in a workshop or as a keynote or panel discussion at the festival.
- Technology(software or hardware) that can be presented through a talk, demo or a workshop to be hosted at the festival. While we are looking for projects in an advanced state of development, experimental technologies are very welcome.
WHO can apply?
Artists, musicians (every music genre is welcome), individuals or teams of researchers, scientists, engineers, professors, designers, software developers, and DIYers. Basically everyone and anyone who is playing and experimenting with music and AI.
The selected projects, chosen by a board consisting of members from Sónar Festival and UPC will receive the following benefits:
- The project will be showcased in the programme of the S+T+ARTS AI and Music Festival, organized by Sónar Festival and UPC on the 27th and 28th of October in Barcelona, either in-person at the festival or as part of the online program.
- Selected projects will be awarded economic compensation for their participation.
- Travel aid to cover for plane tickets and/or accommodation to come to Barcelona (fixed amount, regardless the location)
- A valuable chance to network with the rest of the participants in the festival.
- Exposure and visibility of your project both on site and online, amplified through Sónar and the AI and Music Festival partners’ channels