Regional STARTS event on future energies
Co-produced by Snowball and Gluon, Entropies takes the shape of a one-day event for art professionals, entrepreneurs, scientists, technologists and every curious mind with an interest in the development of sustainable future energies. After a global pandemic reduced CO2 emissions by only a small percentage, it became painfully clear that mankind faces an even greater challenge in the fight against climate change. We need a global system that sees nature not only as a raw material and progress as an escape from natural limits. The search of artists for the elusive properties and possibilities of future energies, real and imagined, is as central for the future as the concrete solutions researchers and innovative companies are working on.
Taking place at state-of-the-art Cleantech hub Snowball (BE), we invite you to participate in the search for new narratives, paradigm shifts and collaborations to support a clean, sustainable and safe world.
WHAT CAN YOU EXPECT?
A lecture program in the afternoon emphasises how collaborations between artists and researchers can lead to new perspectives, narratives and concrete ideas for a carbon neutral future. The afternoon program will be followed by a public evening event comprising talks, presentations of exciting art projects and a performance by Pieterjan Ginckels as part of the official launch of SNOWHOOP. And in between this all, an exhibition accompanying the event will feature a selection of artworks highlighting the versitatlity of artists exploring the topic of energy and opening up new modalities for innovation.
AFTERNOON LECTURES & WORKSHOPS —15:00 > 18:00
15:00 — Welcome from Snowball
Introduction by Alexandra Vanhuyse (co-founder Snowball)
15:10-16:00 — Chapter 1: Art & Energies explores the historical engagement of artists with the topic of energy until the present.
- 15:15-16:00 — An introduction to ‘Electra – electricity and electronics in the art of the XXth Century’, an exhibition in Paris in 1983 by Prof. Dr. Peter Beyls (artist and media arts historian)
16:00-17:00 — Chapter 2: Looking past the hype focuses on how artists engage with advanced science and technology and how this can lead to industrial innovation and societal progress.
- 16:00-16:30 — ‘Sustainable Architectures’ by Lionel Devlieger (co-founder Rotor)
- 16:30-17:00 — ‘Crypto Miner Car’ by Lucas Evers (head of programme, Waag Society) and Lieven Vervecken (founder Diabatix)
15:10-17:00 — Chapter 3: Global Worries Local Fun explores the relation between gameplay, energy and climate action.
- 15:15-17:00 — ‘Wearable Conclusions’ workshop by Pieterjan Ginckels
EVENING EVENT — 17:00 > 23:00
17:00-17:30 — Introductions
Welcome by Stefan Grosjean (CEO Smappee and founder Snowball)
Introduction by Jan Jambon (Minister-President of Flanders)
Introduction by Ralph Dum (Senior Officer DG Connect, European Commission)
17:30-18:30 — Official launch SNOWHOOP
Performance by Pieterjan Ginckels (artist) in collaboration with Jean-Marc Mwema (BC Oostende) and guest players.
18:30-19:00 — Welcome reception
19:00-20:00 — Towards the Grand Sustainability Transition: Global Environmental Governance and the role of visioning
In his talk, Prof. Dr. Philipp Pattberg will argue that substantial and necessary steps towards a broad sustainability transition have already been achieved. However, a number of obstacles remain. Drawing on his experience as director of the Amsterdam Sustainability Institute at VU Amsterdam (NL) and previous collaborations with artists, he will explain how inter- and transdisciplinarity can help achieve this visioning process.
20:00-23:00 — Walking dinner / exhibition / pitches / performances
- Pitch I — Quantasonic Presentation by Prof. Dr. Hugo Thienpont (vice rector innovation and industrial relations / head of B-PHOT, VUB) and Voldemārs Johansons (artist)
- Pitch II — Crypto Miner Car Presentation by by Lucas Evers (head of programme, Waag Society) and Lieven Vervecken (CEO Diabatix)
- Pitch III — Hilbert Hotel Presentation by Evelina Domnitch and Dmitry Gelfland (artist duo)
- SNOWHOOP — Continuous performance by Pieterjan Ginckels (artist) in collaboration with Jean-Marc Mwema (BC Oostende) and guest players
Date: Thu, 15 Oct. 2020 | 15:00 – 23:00h
Venue: Snowball, Belgium